|LACMA: Resnick Pavilion|
The Lynda and Stewart Resnick Exhibition Pavilion, a key feature of LACMA's ongoing Transformation, dramatically expands the museum's exhibition space and also further unifies the western half of the museum's twenty-acre campus. The new building, which opens to the public with a free community weekend October 2-3, 2010, is designed by Renzo Piano, founder, Renzo Piano Building Workshop.
The building is named in honor of long-time patrons Lynda and Stewart Resnick, whose $45 million donation was the lead gift in Phase II of LACMA's Transformation campaign. The Resnicks' generosity was further demonstrated by their promise of works of art valued at $10 million. Mrs. Resnick, a LACMA trustee since 1992, is currently vice chair of the museum's Board of Trustees and chair of the Acquisitions Committee. She and Mr. Resnick are leading arts philanthropists with wide-ranging charitable interests that span from medical research to education.
The Resnick Pavilion, a single-story, 45,000 square foot structure, is the largest purpose-built, naturally lit, open-plan museum space in the world. When it opens, it will house a trio of exhibitions that highlight both the diversity of the museum's encyclopedic collection and programming, as well as the flexibility of the new building: Eye for the Sensual: Selections from the Resnick Collection; Olmec: Colossal Masterworks of Ancient Mexico; and Fashioning Fashion: European Dress in Detail, 1700-1915.